Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Doin' the New-fun-go-go: Part #1

Now begins the somewhat abridged summary of my trip to St. John's, Newfoundland.

Day #1:

I arrived at St. John's near midnight local time. After some delicious homemade chicken paprikash, I went to bed. I woke up at about noon-ish, still feeling a little groggy from the flight. This gave me my first chance to see my sister Naomi's house in the daylight:








To begin my first real full day in the city, Naomi and her boyfriend Josh took me out for lunch at the Keg (where he works), followed by a walk in St. Johns' downtown and harbor area:

Downtown in St. John's

HMCS St. John's. And it's in St. John's! Ironic, no?

I have a rule: publicly funded art should not remind me of the movie Prometheus.

Next, Naomi's friend Ryano joined she and I at "The Rooms", St. Johns' museum of history, art and squid:

Unfortunately, neither live nor giant.
Of course, knowing that there was a place called "The Rooms" made me think of this:



Our next stop was Fort Amherst, near the mouth of St. John's harbor. Up until the end of World War II, St. John's was a fairly strategically important area, and the cliffs surrounding the harbor were lined with cannons and bunkers. Unfortunately, some of these sites have fallen into disrepair:

This is a found footage horror movie waiting to happen. . .




Ft. Amherst also has a good view of Cape Spear, Canada's eastern-most point: 



That's where we went next. Like Ft. Amherst, Cape Spear was lined with cannons and dilapidated bunkers:



Cape Spear is also home to the oldest surviving lighthouse in Newfoundland and Labrador:


Afterward, we headed back to St. John's and I got to hang out with members of The Bloomsbury Group, a local band that Naomi plays in1. I didn't take any pictures, as people talking to with one another in a dark house does not exactly make for striking photography. However, after a few hours of cribbage games and me turning down booze, we did end up going out for falafels, which allowed me to get this shot of St. John's at night:


Next time, Day #2.  


1 Oh, I did not just end that sentence with a fucking preposition!

No comments:

Post a Comment